There are times when money just doesn’t stretch far enough. You can’t pay the rent or mortgage; you’re behind in your bills; and maybe the power has been disconnected. And worse still, you may be already in debt so borrowing more money is not on. At times like these, free help from a Financial Counsellor is available.
What can you do about this?
If you are currently experiencing any of these situations, or other issues causing financial stress, a Financial Counsellor may be able to assist you.
- Assisting you in working out payment plans with creditors.
- Advising you of available options when you are unable to pay bills, fines or debts.
- Provide information about financial management options.
- Advising you whether you might be eligible for Government assistance such as the Utility Relief Grant Scheme.
- Provide information relating to options for dealing with debts such as moratoriums, payment arrangements and bankruptcy.
You may be eligible for concessions if you hold a:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Veteran Affairs Card Health Care Card
- Life Support Concession Carted water rebate
- Off peak concession
- Winter energy concession
What do I bring?
If possible, please bring the following documents with you to your appointment:
- Loan contracts
- Debt statements, demands, bills, etc
- Letters from creditors
- Details of social security and/or income from all sources
Your rights as a client
The Code of Practice that binds all the Financial Counsellors in this program is aimed at protecting your rights and privacy.
This program is a voluntary program. You have the choice as to whether you use the service or not.
The Financial Counsellor will respect your right to confidentiality. No information provided to the Financial Counsellor will be given to any other person or organisation without your permission. The Financial Counselling program complies with privacy legislation.
The Financial Counsellor will not take any action on your behalf without your permission.
To enquire regarding availability of financial counselling, please visit our Contact Us page.
Click Here to download a copy of our brochure.
Click Here to view video of financial counselling